Crocheted Jingle Bell Garland

December 10, 2010

A snap to make for crocheters and even NON-crocheters, this jingle bell garland would be the perfect accompaniment to your homemade ornaments. PDF: Jingle Bell Garland.

Here’s what you need to make it:

• one package (50 count) 15mm jingle bells
  • 1 ball of red wool, worsted weight
  • one darning needle
  • one size H crochet hook

Directions:

Thread yarn onto the darning needle and thread ALL the jingle bells onto the yarn. Work the bells down the yarn a few yards or more, so you don’t run out of yarn as you chain.  I actually spaced the bells out. So there was a half a dozen at two yards out and a half dozen two yards after that. As I worked, I just scooted the bells along.

Form a slip knot, insert hook and bring the first jingle bell down to the knot.

Chain 15.

*Bring the next jingle bell down to the hook and chain 15. Repeat from * until all the bells are used. Secure with a knot. A drop of glue hot glue on the knot doesn’t hurt either!

If you’ve never crocheted before, or if you need step by step instructions, follow this link to Curbly for an in-depth how-to.

1. Mary permalink
    July 28, 2014 9:52 am

I made it to use in the doorway to hang my Christmas cards. I bought little clothes pins from Michael’s for the cards. Thank You for the great idea that was quick and easy.

2. Rhelena permalink
    May 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi,

I am the owner of crochetpatternbonanza(.)com, a free crochet pattern directory. Just wanted to let you know that I’m updating my website and wanted to make sure that I have your permission to use your images for linking back to your free crochet patterns and/or tutorials.

You can find more information on this page: http://crochetpatternbonanza.com/submit-your-links.html

Thank you so much for your time and let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
    Rhelena

3. Cherishables permalink
    November 28, 2012 8:02 am

Neat idea! I would like to include you in my Christmas Countdown beginning Dec. 1. I’ll link over from my blog cherishables-handcrafts.blogspot.com. Thanks!

November 28, 2012 8:51 am

That’s great! (Glad you like it.)

4. Renee permalink
    November 4, 2012 11:43 am

Love this. I put the bell’s on as I went. Big time saver.

5. November 7, 2011 11:54 am

If you did it with two strands of yarn, you would probably need larger jingle bells. I did one of these for myself using the whole bag of bells, and it took a long time stringing the bells all the way down the yarn, plus they would get all tangled. From my estimate, you need about 1 yard of yarn for every two bells. When I did this with elementary school girls at church, I reduced it to ten to twelve bells per 5 – 6 yards of red yarn, and chained 16 between bells. I used the wool for myself and the acrylic for the girls. And a size 18 tapestry needle was the one that fit through the holes in the top of the bells. LOVE THIS PROJECT! THANKS.

6. Rachael permalink
    November 2, 2011 9:48 pm

Sounds great! It might be fun to do with 2 strands of yarn like red & green or red & white to mis it up a bit. Thanks for the idea.

7. Susan permalink
    October 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Love the jingle bell garland. Do you know how to make jingle bells rusty for vintage look?

8. August 5, 2011 10:10 am

Why wool? Can’t we just use the Red Heart cheap stuff?

• Maven permalink*
      August 5, 2011 10:24 am

Absolutely! I prefer the look of wool, but the cheap stuff would work just fine, especially for kids just learning.

9. July 15, 2011 3:28 pm

Love this! Thanks for the inspiration!!

10. Johnnie permalink
    July 11, 2011 9:03 am

It is a fabulous idea . There is nothing like home-made decorations during the holiday season . It makes the season so full of joy and, it is something that can be passed on .Once others see the homemade decorations, they will also get the idea.

• Maven permalink*
      July 11, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks, Johnnie! I have VERY FEW store bought ornaments. Homemade is definitely the way to go!

11. Tracey permalink
    July 10, 2011 1:28 pm

The jingling of the bells is an attractant to cats – especially my 3. LOL. Guess I could make this for my mother’s tree.

12. July 5, 2011 9:34 am

Cute. My 8 year old granddaughter is a beginner crocheter, I think this will be a great project for her to try. She’s been working in her chain stitch. Can’t wait to let her know she’s going to make something the whole family will like. Then she’ll have that memory every year they put the tree up.
    Thank you so much for these great ideas & free patterns.

• Maven permalink*
      July 5, 2011 10:04 am

You are so very welcome, Linda! Yes, it’s a PERFECT project for the beginner…of any age!

• Molly Dean permalink
        July 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Where did you find your jingle bells. Are they difficult to get? Thank you so much. MamaMolly

• Maven permalink*
          July 11, 2011 7:15 am

Hey MommaMolly! I bought mine at Michael’s, but any craft store/craft department should have them.

• August 5, 2011 10:07 am

That’s a great idea for the kids that need more practice with their chains. I will definitely use this fun and easy project at my church for the elementary girls that I work with who can’t quite master the more difficult patterns. They will all be able to do this.

13. Maven permalink*
    July 1, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks Jeannie! Glad you found it. ;)

14. June 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Thank you for an EASY and Cute pattern for the Tree!

15. Donna permalink
    June 27, 2011 1:06 pm

I love this! Maybe it will keep the cats out of the tree this year :o)

• Maven permalink*
      June 27, 2011 3:22 pm

Only if they’re scared of the tinkling! Otherwise it might keep them IN. ;)

16. June 27, 2011 11:20 am