Loom Knit ‘Tzara’ Shrug

June 14, 2010

This little shrug was adapted from Berroco’s Tzara pattern for the loom. Using the Knifty Knitter purple round loom and the e-wrap stitch, the width is EXACTLY 19″, which is the width of the Tzara pattern. Very slick! So let’s begin the adaptation….

What you’ll need:

• KK purple circular loom
  • Size H crochet hook, OPTIONAL
  • 2 skeins of Bernat Softee Chunky for a size x-small (which is the size I made) and 3 skeins for the small/medium and large/x-large. (I used Teal).

THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR AN X-SMALL SIZE.  For the s/m & l/xl size, refer to Berroco’s dimensions.

Cast on all pegs. I chose to use the long-tail cast on.

Working as a panel, slip the first stitch and e-wrap across; repeat until panel measures approximately 45″ long. (Again, for s/m & l/xl sizes, refer to Berroco’s dimensions.)

When panel is completed, bind off, weave in ends and block to specified sizes. For an xs, block to 19″ x 45″. (I chose to use the basic bind off method.)

Follow Berroco’s assembly instructions.

If you want a bit of finishing to the cuffs, as I did, join yarn to cuff and single crochet around. Join to beginning sk and weave in all ends.

One final note: The longer your panel, the wider the shoulder opening will be, which means the shrug might have a habit of falling off your shoulders if it’s TOO long! If wondering how long or short your panel should be, making it shorter rather than longer will probably be your best bet.

1. stephanie permalink
    October 6, 2013 8:01 am

i made this on the martha stewart loom in purple with white fur yarn around the sleeves and ftont opening came out great i love it

2. Jenn permalink
    June 18, 2013 5:58 pm

This is so awesome! I have arm tattoos but I work in an office. I am always looking for shrugs I can wear to work and most of them aren’t so great. Now I can make my own! Thank you so much!

3. Gianna permalink
    March 8, 2013 11:00 am

the link to it:

4. Heather Schulte permalink
    March 5, 2013 6:21 pm

Are you using the Boye KK looms, or the Provo Craft KK looms?

March 6, 2013 8:12 am

Provo Craft KK; the purple one.

5. Kelley Rainey permalink
    January 18, 2013 3:12 am

I can’t find the assembly instructions. I’m using a straight loom. It’s from the Boye long loom set and it’s the largest. Will I still be able to do this shrug?

January 21, 2013 8:44 am

Kelley–that’s a good question! I’d give it a try to see how wide the fabric the loom gives you. If it’s close to 19″ wide, it will work. As for assembly instructions, I’ve been meaning to put something together to replace Berroco’s. I’ll let you know when it’s up!

6. Christina permalink
    December 19, 2012 10:09 am

Hi! I would love to do this shrug but problem is the link for berroco dosent work it say that they cant find it etc…. and i need the large size plus the assembly…..can you re-post the link or add the extra infos thank you!

December 20, 2012 8:46 am

Oh no! They removed the pattern from their website!! I’ll poke around and see if I can find a similar pattern. If not, all you really need to know is the assembly part as the shrug is just a rectangle. I’ll post details in the next week or so!

• Tina N. permalink
        January 20, 2013 11:42 am

Hi Jo…I love this pattern…do you know the difference for the large size? I can’t figure it out. Thanks! :)

January 21, 2013 8:59 am

Tina–I think it would be based on a simple ratio. In the case of the xs the dimensions are 19″ x 45″. So 45 divided by 19 is 2.37 (rounded up). The vertical length of the shrug is based upon (more or less) the measurement of your neck to the area of a 3/4 length sleeve. (For the xs, that’s 19 inches). Now if that length on you is, say, 22″, then you’d multiply that 22 b 2.37 which would give you 52.14 inches, so your overall material dimensions would be 22″ x 52″. Make sense?

• Tina N. permalink
            January 21, 2013 11:34 am

Yes, thank you so much! I love it the pattern and my 2 teenage daughters and I just started knitting on the loom. :)

January 21, 2013 12:08 pm

You’re very welcome! Let me know how they turn out!

7. Una permalink
    December 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Quick question. Did you use two strands or just one. I am assuming one strand, but wanna double check.

• Maven permalink*
      December 14, 2011 9:32 am

Hey Una. I used one strand of bulky yarn, but if you’re using worsted weight, I’d used two.

8. Sara permalink
    December 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Do I have to use the 48 count peg purple one? I have the 41 count peg one that is yellow. Would that work or would the shrug come out really bad?

• Maven permalink*
      December 12, 2011 8:45 am

Hey Sara. Good question! It wouldn’t turn out bad at all, just thinner across the back from neck down. You’d also not want to knit it as long as stipulated in the pattern, otherwise, when it comes time to fold it to construct the arms, you’ll wind up with a pretty big neck opening. If the rectangle is made shorter to compensate for the neck opening, the resulting shrug would probably have 3/4 length arms or so. SO, it would certainly work. I say go for it!

9. September 23, 2011 8:26 am

When you say to use the purple loome for making Tzara shrug, I’m not sure of the peg count for this pattern, as the loome colors I have does not have purple. I would really like to make this shrug. Love your pattern’s

10. August 6, 2011 5:46 pm

I am finishing making a gunmetal gray one as I type and it it beautiful. One question I have is does finishing with the basic cast off look okay with the long tail cast on? Thank you so much for the pattern I love this and look forward to seeing more of your work. Lisa

• Maven permalink*
      August 6, 2011 9:20 pm

Lisa, there is a difference. If you find it too obvious, I’d suggest, after sewing up the seam, slip-stitching or single-crocheting a row around the cast-off cuff to make it look more like the cast-on one.

11. Jennifer permalink
    January 5, 2011 11:56 am

I am confused I have made the 45″ peace and what I have is one long tube. How do you end up with the arm holes?

January 5, 2011 1:48 pm

Jennifer….Oh my goodness! Sounds like you joined the piece at the very beginning and worked in the round and not as a flat panel, as stated in the post. Here’s a link to a video that should help.

12. josie permalink
    December 23, 2010 2:48 am

Hi, how did u block the shrug?

December 23, 2010 9:39 am

Hey Josie. I didn’t!

13. Lynn permalink
    November 26, 2010 8:53 pm

I am so happy I found this pattern..I don’t know how to knit but I use the loom. I have seen this on the DIY channel but they only show the knit version. I have been teaching myself to crochet and then I am going to try to teach myself to knit. At the age of 40 things are not as easy to learn especially when you are trying to learn on your own. But since I was in a car accident that left me disabled I had to find some thing to do with my time. And so far I love this.. Thanks again for this great website full of all the patterns I wanted to try!!!!

November 27, 2010 8:51 am

Lynn, I’m so glad you found the website too!!! :)

14. Your Hostess permalink*
    August 16, 2010 9:19 am

Hey Christy. I used the round purple loom.

15. Christy permalink
    August 13, 2010 6:49 pm

You mention using the KK purple round. Is that the 18″ purple round or the elongated purple?

16. Lisa permalink
    July 1, 2010 1:22 pm

Simply beautiful. I like this one much better than the original! Great job on adapting this to the loom.

• Your Hostess permalink*
      July 6, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks Lisa. That’s a big compliment! It was very easy to adapt. Perfect for loomers who want to branch out.

1. Universal Loom Knit Shrug Instructions « DIY Maven