How to Make Foil Tape Christmas Ornaments

December 18, 2009

We’ve used foil tape before for making greeting cards, and now it’s time to get that shiny roll of goodness out again to make some  quick, easy and elegant Christmas ornaments.

What you’ll need to make some:

• clear Christmas balls, available at just about any craft store
  • paper punches; I would suggest using cutters of the 3/4″ variety as they won’t crinkle at all or as much when put on the rounded surface of the ball and they aren’t as tedious to work with as smaller ones
  • foil tape; you can find this in the heating department of your local big box store like Menards and Lowes and such
  • boning tool, optional

What you’ll do:

• punch the shapes foil side up; I suggest foil side up because this will make it easier to get the back of the tape off, NOTE: Your paper punch may start to gunk up if you do a lot of these.
  • apply the shapes to the ball
  • burnish the foil shapes with your boning tool; this will not only get out any crinkles, but it’ll also make the tape shine

And that’s it! Merry Christmas all!!!

1. Lisa permalink
    September 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Thank you SO much for a wonderful idea! And a simple one at that! Our wedding is December 8th, 2012.. and this will be THE perfect favor! Thanks once again!

September 21, 2012 4:47 pm

You’re very welcome! If you’re going to make a lot of these, and it sounds like you are, keep in mind that punches with less detail work better as there’s less to get ‘hung up’ in the punch, if you know what I mean. So circles, candy cane shapes maybe…etc. Doing tons of snowflakes on the other hand will be become a pain! ;)

2. December 24, 2009 3:12 am

These bring me back to my childhood… Lol I got in huge trouble when I was like 8 for stealing foil tape out of my Dad’s stuff for one of my “crafts” and using a whole roll! Evidently the stuff is quite expensive… Lol These are cute! Great idea!

• Your Hostess permalink*
      December 24, 2009 10:05 am

Keshia–I think there are different grades of foil tape, some more expensive than others. The kind I buy is about $6.50 for a 30 foot roll.

3. December 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Those look great! What an awesome idea :)

4. December 22, 2009 3:42 pm

These look great – found you from One Pretty Thing. I love foil tape. I have stolen it from my husbands work table.

• Your Hostess permalink*
      December 22, 2009 6:09 pm

I love stealing things from my husband’s work table too. ;)

5. December 22, 2009 8:42 am

these are fabulous

6. December 21, 2009 2:32 pm

Oh how pretty! I love this idea, thanks tons! I’ll be linking.

1. Top 10 Ideas for Shiny Aluminum Foil Crafts