Cuttlebug Birthday Card Ideas–the Duct Tape Version!

September 18, 2009

IMG_0003

Duct tape, how could we live without it? The regular kind is indispensable in the garage but the FOIL type , which has a paper backing, is becoming indispensable in my craft room. Check it out….you can emboss and cut it with your Cuttlebug! AND it’s a fraction of the cost of metal craft sheets. A very large roll of the stuff, which you can find at your local big box store, costs about $6.50. I used a brand called IPG–or Intertape Polymer Group–which has a very nice finish.

Here’s some birthday cards I made yesterday using various embossing folders. And yes, you can use dies and punches on it too!

For this card, I used the birthday 2 x 2.75 set and Traffic Jam to make the squares. I used a 3/4″ punch to punch the squares first and then placed them into the folder.

IMG_0025

For this one, I embossed all but 1.5″ of the card with the Happy Birthday folder and then used the daisies from the Border with Love set.

IMG_0026_2

And for this card, I used the birthday set as well as the Combo Birthday Wishes for the “Wish”. As you can see, the striped paper below the cake did make a crease. Something to keep in mind for next time!

IMG_0024

Here are some things I discovered using the foil tape:

IMG_0023

• Peel the backing off while the front of the tape is against a flat work surface. This helps the tape from curling back on itself, as pictured above.
  • Lift the paper back at an edge, not a corner. For some reason, the corners are trickier to lift!
  • Practice using the tape, because once you stick it down, it is NOT coming off.
  • Burnish the tape onto your project with your fingertip. I was surprised at how hard I could press down without damaging the embossed print.
  • Use a stylus and ruler to create a nice embossed-look border, as pictured below.

IMG_0014

1. Mey Killian permalink
    August 16, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks for sharing, when I was looking for it in amazon there was an option that says: with liner! Does that mean with the white backing?

August 21, 2014 2:42 pm

@Mey–I’m not sure… Maybe?? Sorry.

2. February 7, 2014 9:32 pm

I have some military scrapbooking to do. This will be GREAT for my mechanic son.

3. November 16, 2013 9:31 am

I’ve used foil-backed duct tape or flashing for a while with my CB and my Vagabond. As you mentioned, it’s a lot cheaper than the metal sheets and does a good job. Just a tip – you can use Alcohol Inks (Ranger) to color the tape. That makes for great pieces.

November 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Love alcohol inks. Just posted about a method of using Sharpies & alcohol to do a DIY version of alcohol inks over on Curbly. Might have to try it on foil!

4. Terese Martinez permalink
    October 19, 2013 8:21 am

I can’t wait to try it.

5. Kathy Salsbury permalink
    June 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Found your idea on Pinterest – love that site! I may have to make a Home Depot run tonight to get some tape to play with. Thanks for the great instructions! I’ve emailed your site to several of my “card friends” for them to enjoy also.

June 25, 2013 8:33 pm

That’s great! Glad you like the idea. :)

6. November 17, 2012 3:43 pm

What a great idea! I’m going to have to try this. I used to make embossed cards YEARS ago.

7. Norma O'Neal permalink
    November 4, 2012 2:00 pm

I have been using this foil tape for a while. I peel the backing off and adhere the foil top to a piece of card stock ( I have some colors I don’t use much) and then just emboss as you wish.
    Cut your embossing design to size or punch out design, and glue as usual to your card. This gives it more body and will eliminate the edge of another piece showing from underneath, as in the “wish” card you made.

8. October 26, 2012 9:25 am

You could use Vintaj Patinas to add color! Very durable on metal and easy to use! http://vintaj.com/wpblog/?p=16741

9. DrawingBlanks permalink
    August 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Hmm and I think I just tossed some of this tape out after years of rent free existence in my craft drawer! You make want to buy more lol. About the hardware store…yeah, I just finished a sculpture done on drywall, with drywall mud. Try asking the hardware folks about how to seal or paint that..without mentioning it. Hehe. Off to browse some more! Keep inspiring us!

August 22, 2012 7:32 am

Asking advice without explaining the situation is tricky! I’ve done it several times too. ;)

10. Kathy permalink
    August 11, 2012 8:11 pm

what a great idea, thanks for good instructions..adding this to my “to try” list!

11. Kim permalink
    May 6, 2012 4:57 pm

A brillant idea. Can’t wait to try it myself.

12. April 15, 2012 1:00 pm

My favorite store for inspiration is Home Depot. I love this. Thanks for sharing!

• Maven permalink*
      April 16, 2012 7:29 am

Glad you like it, Suzie. Sometimes when I’m in my local hardware store and ask something like “do know of anything that does or looks like…”, the person invariably asks in return what I want to use it for. I’m always hesitant to tell them the truth. If they only knew I was making greeting cards & etc. out of their hardware. ;)

13. March 28, 2012 8:54 pm

Love this. Thank you for sharing. I found your idea pinned on Pinterest. Love it.

• Maven permalink*
      March 29, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks, Debbie. I’m always looking for new materials to run through the ‘bug. ;)

14. March 26, 2012 12:03 am

Love this idea. Thank so much!

15. March 26, 2012 12:02 am

Great idea! Thanks so much!

16. mary permalink
    June 29, 2011 9:44 pm

thanks so much, love your work!!
    mary

17. Showshannah permalink
    February 23, 2010 6:47 am

That’s amazing! Thanks for sharing!

• Your Hostess permalink*
      February 23, 2010 8:08 am

You’re welcome! :)

18. Shauna permalink
    November 14, 2009 9:32 am

This is AMAZING! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!!

19. Denise permalink
    October 19, 2009 11:09 am

Wow, love this, have actually found a trade supplier who is prepared to let me have some end rolls, or roll me some! So off to see them tomorrow…Just got a “bug” for my birthday yaaay!! Bought some folders so can’t wait to try the tape…thanks for sharing…hugs. Den x

20. October 8, 2009 8:26 pm

I had no idea there was foil-backed duct tape. Way cool. Learn something new everyday. I came over following a link from Let It Fly to your adorable pet candy corn sweater. I love it so, soooo much! I’m totally going to pick yarn up for this asap. I’d also love to link to this if you didn’t mind.

1. How to Make Foil Tape Christmas Ornaments « DIY Maven