Santa Pet Sweater

December 17, 2008

Made with a fun double loop stitch, this sweater will work up in just a couple of hours. It fits my 11 pounder just fine, but can be adapted to fit just about any critter. PDF: Santa Pet Sweater.

Double Loop Stitch: The best way to learn this stitch is with pictures. Here is a great tutorial. (It’s the second loop stitch explained in the article, NOT the first!)

Materials:

white and Christmas red worsted weight yarn

H crochet hook.

With the white, chain 54. Join to form a loop, being careful not to twist the chain.

Row 1: Chain 1, turn, sc around, sl st in beg chain, chain 1, turn.

Row 2: Double loop st around, sl st in beg chain, chain 1, turn.

Row 3. Sc around, sl st in beg chain, chain 1, turn.

Row 4: Double loop st around; sl st in beg chain, joining red.

Row 5: Chain 3, dc around, sl st in beg chain, chain 3, turn.

Row 6: Dc around, sl st in beg chain, chain 3, turn.

Row 7: Dc in the next 33 dc.

Rows 8-12: *Chain 3, turn, dc across. Repeat from * 4 more times.

Row 13: Join white, chain 1, turn, sc across. At end of row, chain 6; join to opposite side with sl st, being careful not to twist the chain.

Row 14: Chain 1, turn sc in the next 6 chains; double loop st in remaining; join with sl st at top of chain 1.

Row 15: Chain 1, turn, sc around.

Row 16: Join with sl st to beginning chain 1; chain 1, turn; double loop st in remaining; join with sl st at top of chain one.

Row 17: Chain 1, turn, sl st around; fasten off. Weave in ends.

And for those of you who’d love to make this sweater but don’t know how to crochet, check out this great tutorial series and start to learn how to crochet today!

This is an original creation; the content of this pattern is copyrighted. You may print out pages for yourself, or for charity IF credit is given on each page to DIY Maven (aka: JoAnn Moser). You may link to this page with appropriate credit. However, publishing this pattern on other websites, in e-mails, mailing lists, in any print media, OR the selling of this pattern, or items made from it, is strictly forbidden.
  1. maryanne mccauley permalink
    November 26, 2012 11:20 pm

too cute…i am in a wheelchair and spend alot of time crocheting…i have a capuchin helper monkey…i’m going to see if i can decrease the pattern and make it for her!

November 27, 2012 8:55 am

Aww…I bet she’d look DARLING in a Santa Sweater! Instead of decreasing rows and such, you might want to try using 3ply and an f or g hook. The nice thing about this pattern is it’s quick, so it’s not such a big deal if you have to frog it and start over. ;)

2. November 11, 2012 9:42 pm

I have a miniature Appaloosa horse (Registered Therapy Horse). I’m almost sure I can figure out how to make it for her (much larger of course). Wouldn’t that be a hoot for pediatric visits! For sure I’ll also make one for our Ragdoll cat, KooPurr and our Westi-Poo dog, Sassy. Matching outfits – I’m so excited!

November 12, 2012 8:36 am

Oh, my! I would love, love, LOVE to see a horse in the sweater!!! I’m positive you can figure it out too. It won’t be hard at all, especially if you make one for KooPurr and Sassy first.

• November 13, 2012 8:56 pm

If you google “Spaulding Rehab Miniature Therapy Horse” you’ll be able to see Lily and that she sure would need increased stitches!!! LOL!

November 14, 2012 8:17 am

What a pretty girl! And such a heart-warming story too. I bet those vets LOVE her. Yes, I think she deserves a Santa Sweater. And how fabulous would she look in red! ;)

3. Carolyn permalink
    October 5, 2012 8:33 am

What a cute pattern. First time I have found a pattern that would work for a cat. Not sure my cat will appreciate it but he is definitely going to get one of these. Thank you.

4. Linda Mathews permalink
    October 4, 2012 9:43 pm

I will make this for my two cats; altho I am sure I have more enthusiasm than they will! I don’t usually dress my pets; but would for a holiday if there was an easy pattern like this.

5. Ginnie permalink
    October 4, 2012 7:53 pm

I have a super tiny chihuahua I made the pattern with a small hook and light weight yarn and it was still to big for her hahahaha guess she will be wearing the ones I sew and not a crochet one

October 5, 2012 8:41 am

:) That is a tiny pup!

• December 9, 2012 2:42 pm

Ginnie I was thinking of making one for my chihuahua and a few for gifts, what size is your baby?

6. Phyllis permalink
    October 4, 2012 1:51 pm

You must be very fast on the shutter to be able to take photos of your cat wearing this sweater. As a young girl, many years ago, I would try for hours it seemed to get a garment onto my cats only to have them simply walk out of it as soon as I let them out of our lap. I might give this a try. Thanks

October 5, 2012 8:44 am

To be honest, she’s only had the sweater on twice. When I put it on her, she becomes very still for a few minutes. (Then she starts to squirm out of it or eat the trim. Usually both.) So I do have a short window of opportunity to snap some pics!

7. Vicky permalink
    July 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Just wondering,I can’t figure out which way should this be worn. Which is the front and which is the back of the sweater?

July 18, 2012 2:32 pm

The two ‘belts’ face the ground, as it were. The little belt goes around the neck and the big belt goes around the tummy.

8. December 16, 2011 10:23 am

Can’t wait to do this coat for my dog. Just hope she doesn’t eat it instead.

9. Julie permalink
    October 11, 2011 8:18 am

I meant: thank you for sharing. :)

10. Julie permalink
    October 11, 2011 8:15 am

I hope to make two for my girls, a bichon /poo and a shiz/poo :) Thanks you for sharing…

11. Katherine Stallard permalink
    March 16, 2011 8:37 pm

I LOVE this sweater but I can’t figure out how to do the double loop stitch. I’ve looked for a video to watch cause I’m not very good at reading directions…..do you know of one?
    Thanks,
    Katherine

• Maven permalink*
      March 17, 2011 7:45 am

Hi Katherine. Glad you like the sweater! Did you try the link in the pattern? That’s one of the best tutorials I could find. I’m afraid I don’t know of a video. Maybe I should make one….hmmm.

12. jan silvers permalink
    February 7, 2011 7:35 pm

i have 4 tiny toy poodels, and i am gonna try and make these for the girls

• Maven permalink*
      February 8, 2011 8:40 am

Hope you have fun making them for your girls, Jan!

13. Ginger permalink
    October 20, 2010 9:11 am

Thank you so much I didn’t even think of that. I will do that. I look forwad to seeing more of your stuff.

14. Simone permalink
    October 20, 2010 8:21 am

Please add me to your mailing list if you have one.
    I love these patterns.

October 20, 2010 8:55 am

Thanks Simone! You can subscribe to my RSS feed by clicking the RSS icon on the right side of my home page. (Right under the SEARCH field.)

15. Ginger Morris permalink
    October 13, 2010 11:21 am

How would I do this for a 6lIb dog? I am not sure how to decrease chain to make it that small?

October 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi Ginger. What might be easier is to just use a smaller hook (like a G) with sport weight yarn. That way you can just follow the pattern as is. Using the hook (H) and yarn (4ply) specified, the sweater will fit a 10 pound pup.

• Ginger permalink
        November 21, 2012 7:39 am

It worked great..I made one for my “grandpuppy”….She is a miniature party schnauzer…she looked adorable in it… and my daughter loved it.

November 21, 2012 8:39 am

Yay! I’m so glad both grandpuppy and daughter liked it. ;)

16. Nancylynn Mayer permalink
    July 24, 2010 5:04 pm

Love the pattern. My sister’s two cats and wiener dog will get one for Christmas.

17. Susan Baptiste permalink
    July 17, 2009 9:01 am

Do you have an adult sweater pattern in the loop stitch?
    Please let me know. thanks
    sue

• Your Hostess permalink*
      July 17, 2009 9:13 am

You mean adult animal or adult human?! :) For a human, no. For an animal, this pattern is really easy to alter. It’s just a matter of measuring their tummies and necks and then planning accordingly with your beginning chain and the chain for the neck band.

18. Lisa permalink
    December 28, 2008 10:38 pm

Wow! How cute, this one I will have to make. Thanks for the pattern!
    Lisa