Elfin Baby Booties

December 17, 2008

img_00012

If you have an hour to spare, you can still whip up a pair of these booties before Christmas! The pattern is easy and the optional jingle balls add just the right amount of ‘aawww’ factor. Enjoy! And happy holidays! PDF: Elfin Baby Booties.

Size: 0 to 6 months

Materials: size G hook, Vanna’s Choice in Shamrock Kelly Green, four 9mm jingle balls (optional).

Gauge: 7 sc and 7 rows = 2 ins. (The finished sole is approximately 3 1/2″ long.)

Instructions: Chain 20

Row 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook; sc in remaining; chain 1, turn. (19 sc)

Row 2 – 7: Sc across; ch 1, turn. Place markers at each end of row 7.

Row 8: Sc across; ch 1, turn.

Row 9: Dec 1 sc each side of row; ch 1, turn. (17 sc)

Row 10 -13: Sc across; chain 1, turn. (17 sc)

Row 14: Dec 1 sc each side of row (15 sc)

Turn. Do NOT yo. Draw up a loop in each of the next 15 sc; yo, draw through all 16 loops on hook; pull snugly; chain 1. Drop your yarn.

Fold bootie wrong sides together. Join length of yarn at base of heel, making sure wrong sides of piece are together. Sc up back of bootie to ankle. Fasten off, weave in ends.

Pick up dropped yarn at toe. Holding both sides of the bootie’s fronts together, Sc up to marked rows to join, then sc around ankle opening. Slipstitch into 1st sc at ankle opening. Chain 3; DO NOT TURN; dc at base of same stitch. Dc around to front center of ankle opening; chain 3; TURN; dc around*. Fasten off and weave in ends. Fold down cuffs at ankles and attach optional 9mm jingle balls securely with yarn at their corners or * incorporate the jingle balls into the stitches at the corners as you crochet them for maximum safety.

This is an original creation; the content of this pattern is copyrighted. You may print out pages for yourself, or for charity IF credit is given on each page to DIY Maven (aka: JoAnn Moser). You may link to this page with appropriate credit. However, publishing this pattern on other websites, in e-mails, mailing lists, in any print media, OR the selling of this pattern, or items made from it, is strictly forbidden.
  1. Laural Casal permalink
    September 18, 2014 9:28 am

how would you suggest I adjust the size to fit a preemie baby that is gonna be in the NICU?

September 30, 2014 8:51 am

Hi Laural! I’d probably start with using a 3 ply baby yarn. (I used a 4 ply for this project.) I’d also decrease the hook size too. Maybe use a G? It would take some experimenting, but because they work up so quickly, some frogging wouldn’t be an issue. ;) Also, if you happen to have a pair of preemie-size booties around to compare too, that would be very helpful! I’ve bought knitted/crocheted items at thrift stores and rummage sales just to have on hand for sizing.

2. Jcqhammond@gmail.com permalink
    August 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Thank you, I will be passing this on to my mum for my little girl due Christmas. Perfect for her introduction to all, at that time of year

3. Lynne Armstrong permalink
    December 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. I’m going to have a go at reducing the size to make them for my dolls :) They are so cute!

December 20, 2013 8:53 am

The would look DARLING on dolls! :)

4. Pamela Brown permalink
    December 7, 2013 1:00 pm

Is there possibly a way to easily increase the size of the pattern so as to fit a one-year old? My son has twin girls who will be one year old on January 11 and I think these would be adorable on Christmas morning…however, they would,have to be bigger…absolutely love them! Super, super cute!!!

December 7, 2013 8:55 pm

Glad you like them! The easiest way to make them bigger would be to up the yarn to chunky or use 2 strands of worsted weight and a larger hook (maybe using a J or even K). Good luck!

• Haji Warf permalink
        December 13, 2013 10:57 am

As well as using a I/9 hook, I actually increased the number of sc sts, betw the marked 7th row and the first decrease row, then again after that before the next decrease row. I also used contrast color for the foldover. Mine will fit 6-12 mo., because I also used a stretchier yarn (although not a heavier weight). They turned out so cute!

December 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Glad they were successful!

5. October 24, 2013 11:50 am

Just what I was looking for! Thanks so much!

October 24, 2013 11:58 am

You’re very welcome! (Glad you found them. :))

6. September 19, 2013 4:05 pm

This is such a sweet design, I have only just started learning how to crochet (but not learning how to read instructions) Thanks for sharing this pattern. :)

September 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Thank you and you’re welcome! When you start reading patterns, I hope you’ll make a pair!

7. maybecassandra permalink
    March 21, 2013 3:11 pm

These are great! Thanks for the pattern :D

8. demi permalink
    February 14, 2013 1:14 pm

gorgeous i love these lil booties they are truly toooo cute :)

9. December 28, 2012 6:12 pm

These are just toooooooooooo cute and look easy to do. Thanks so much for
    free
    pattern

December 29, 2012 7:49 am

Glad you like them, Wende!

10. Ellyn permalink
    December 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Nice! Saw these on the Lion Brand blog! Pinned them to pinterest! And now I’ll be following you!
    Happy crocheting!

11. November 24, 2012 11:32 pm

cute!

12. Amy permalink
    November 17, 2012 2:05 pm

so fun! great instructions! thanks for sharing!

13. Lissette permalink
    November 16, 2012 9:18 am

please make a video of the last part when you put all the pieces together, please!!

November 17, 2012 8:57 pm

I’ll think about it. ;)

14. Ashlyne Garcia permalink
    November 14, 2012 2:28 pm

I am confused on when it says Drop your yarn.

Fold bootie wrong sides together. Join length of yarn at base of heal

November 15, 2012 9:42 am

For the first step, you actually drop the yarn you’re working with. Then you fold the bootie in half, wrong sides together. You then use take another length of yarn and joint it at the base of the heel. You use that length of yard to single crochet up the back of the bootie to the ankle. You then fasten off that same length of yarn and weave in the ends. THEN you pick up the yarn you dropped–or stopped working with earlier–and continue with the instructions as written.

Hope this helps!!!

• November 20, 2012 4:53 pm

So we will need a long tail to sew?

November 20, 2012 5:03 pm

The sewing is done at the bottom of the heel with attached yarn and then at the toe where you drop the yarn. So, no, you really don’t need a long tail.

15. November 12, 2012 7:54 am

im sorry im a bit confuse about the instruction for its my first time. for im used to learned by pictures.hope you can help me.. i really would like to try your crochets,,
    thanks in advance..

November 12, 2012 8:37 am

Which part? If you can tell me where/what you’re having trouble with, I’d be happy to help!

16. Julia permalink
    November 1, 2012 6:48 pm

These are so cute! I’ve had this pattern on my favourites for ages because I didn’t have the right colour of green for it. Well worth the wait. Thanks so much for an easy pattern and ADORABLE booties!! :)

17. Sarah Hatch permalink
    October 31, 2012 8:27 pm

Hello! I want to make these for a toddler. How do you recommend increasing the size?

November 1, 2012 10:58 am

First, if making them for a toddler, do not under any circumstances use acrylic yarn. It’s MUCH too slippery for tiny feet learning how to walk. Instead I’d opt for cotton, cotton blends or other ‘grippier’ yarns. To increase the size, I might try doubling up the yarn (use two strands instead of one) and then up the hook a couple of sizes. This will take some trial and error, but as they work up quickly it’s easy–and not too time consuming–to do some experimenting. Good luck!!

• aimee permalink
        January 8, 2013 12:42 am

Products are also made to make them non skid, if you can’t find the right color in the “grippier” yarn.

18. c-vukic@hotmail.com permalink
    September 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Hello! Thanks for the lovely pattern. I have a question. For some reason when I am making this I find the toe comes out pointy and not rounded like your pattern. I dont know what I am doing wrong. Please let me know any suggestions. Thanks!
    -First timer

September 27, 2012 9:45 am

Sounds like you might be decreasing too much or for too many rows. At the toe, you only decrease on rows 9 and 14. For those, you should be decreasing only one stitch at each end of each row, not decreasing all the way across. Hope that helps!!

• c-vukic@hotmail.com permalink
        September 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Thank you. I am going to try a third time lol… my grandma came over and had a look she told me the same thing :) I will let you know how it goes

• c-vukic@hotmail.com permalink
          September 27, 2012 2:19 pm

I AM SO EXCITED!!!! i did it!!! it is an easy patttern to follow i was learning and took the decrease direction wrong. But with practice they will come out perfect!!! THanks Maven!!

October 2, 2012 10:38 am

Yay! I’m excited for you!

October 2, 2012 10:39 am

My grandma taught me how to crochet too!

19. Shannon permalink
    September 1, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks for the super cute bootie pattern!
    I wanted to let you know I used the recommended hook size and yarn but mine seemed to come out much bigger than I expected. Maybe it’s my tension? Any advice?

September 5, 2012 4:08 pm

Hey Shannon. Glad you liked the pattern. Yeah, it was probably tension. Next time, if you make them again, I’d suggest a smaller hook. The good thing is, they’re so quick to work up, it’s not such a bother to rip them out to do some trial and error, hook-wise.

20. PatternPolice permalink
    August 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Wonderful pattern, adorable booties.
    Did you know folks are selling booties made from your pattern on Etsy?

August 27, 2012 11:06 am

No, I didn’t. I’ll have to check that out. Thank you for the heads up!

21. Liz permalink
    August 26, 2012 6:53 pm

This is the first pattern in years that I have found that actually turned out like it was supposed to – thank you so much – -these are so cute – gotta get some bells now – I made these to match an Elf on the Shelf crocheted hat and matching diaper cover – AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

LIz

August 27, 2012 11:08 am

That’s a HUGE compliment! I know exactly what you mean as far as things turning out as they’re supposed to. I crocheted a deer stalker hat (like Sherlock wears) for my dad years ago. It could have fit over a football helmet when it was done! I did end up ripping it out and starting over, adjusting the pattern as I went along. WHAT A PAIN!!! LOL!!

22. Michael Ann permalink
    August 7, 2012 10:13 pm

Did anyone figure out how to make these in a larger size? I have a granddaughter that needs a bigger size. and was born on St Patrick’s day so this is important to me. Thank for your help.

23. July 30, 2012 10:41 am

These are SO adorable! Thanks so much for sharing your pattern! I linked to this page from my blog this morning for a baby booties roundup, if you want to check it out: http://www.mooglyblog.com/2012/07/30/show-me-your-booties-free-crochet-patterns/

July 30, 2012 12:05 pm

So glad you like them! And THANK YOU for including them in your roundup!!! (Those high tops are so cute!)

24. Kathy Robinson permalink
    March 6, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi Maven I fell in love with these booties and just had to make the for my grandson who will arrive this summer. I got to row 14 without any problem but am having difficulty drawing the yarn thru all 15 stitches at one time. I even tried loosening my tension on the last row. Any suggestions or tips. I would love to finish this project

March 7, 2012 8:48 am

Hey Kathy. I’d try using a smaller hook to draw the loop through.

25. Rita Ilfeld permalink
    February 10, 2012 4:21 pm

This pattern is great, and very easy. I am making these little booties for St. Patrick’s Day:) They are perfect!

February 11, 2012 8:34 am

Awww…..booties for a wee Leprechaun! That’s a GREAT idea. :) So glad you liked the pattern!

26. Kate permalink
    January 25, 2012 7:14 am

I like the pattern, but how do i know what the wrong side is? Except ofr where the toe is pulled together, they both look the same!

And when you say fold wrong sides together, i thought that meant they would be inside the boot. But elsewhere on this page you say they would be facing me, like they would be on the outside? I a very confused – help!

January 25, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Kate. In the case of wrong versus right side, it doesn’t make much difference for this project. Just make sure you fold the fabric the same way for each bootie. I’m not seeing where I say anything would be facing you. Do you mean where I say ‘Holding both sides of the bootie’s fronts together”? If so, that just means holding the bootie flat, left side against right. The wrong sides will already be facing together at this point as in the step before you sc up the back (heel) of the bootie.

27. Conni permalink
    December 13, 2011 6:45 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this pattern and Im currently working on them but now I’m stumped on

Row 9: Dec 1 sc each side of row; ch 1, turn. (17 sc) So how do I SC on each side of row? Yes I’m kind of new to Crochet.

Thanks Bunches!
    Conni

PS How about an Elfin Hat? ;|

December 14, 2011 9:30 am

Hey Conni. Row 9 is an abbreviated instruction. The long way would read ‘single crochet first two stitches together to create decrease 1 at beginning of row, single crochet to last two stitches, single crochet last two stitches together to create a decrease at end of row; chain 1, turn.’

I’ll think about an Elfin Hat. ;)

28. Michelle permalink
    December 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Thank you so much Maven for sharing this pattern! I am crocheting these just in time for Christmas. I have crocheted several pairs for a local pro life crisis pregnancy center, using a variety of colors of yarn. I have also crocheted them using different weights of yarn-making adjustments with the size of hook and number of stitches and rows needed to match the size. These are too cute! Using bulky yarn makes them look like rustic boots-I don’t put the little jingle bells on them when I use the bulky yarn. Using red for the boot, and white for the cuff makes them look like santa boots. When crocheting the ankle cuff, the first row of double crochet I do in the back loop only, this helps the cuff to lay down flat-helps to prevent the cuff from rolling up which is more important when crocheting the
    booties when using the bulky yarn. The second row of double crochet is completed using both loops. If anyone wants to make a larger bootie using worsted weight yarn, you only need to change the hook size to an I or a J. These are really fun, easy and fast to make! God bless you Maven! 12-10-2011

December 12, 2011 8:34 am

I’m so glad you’ve had such success with the pattern! And thank you for the blessings. I can always use those. :)

29. Dez permalink
    November 29, 2011 12:55 am

I want to make these for my 2 year old. What would be your suggestion on making them bigger?

November 29, 2011 8:44 am

Hey Dez. The easiest way would be to use super bulky yarn or two strands of worsted weight (4 ply) and go up a couple of hook sizes. (It might take some trial and error to get the right combo.) I’d also suggest not using acrylic yarn for a two year old, as slippers made with acrylic are very slippery. I’d go for a natural fiber.

30. October 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Love this!!! Had to make some changes due to using baby yarn, but they came out super cute. Keeping this one in my bag of tricks for easy gift giving! Thank you!

31. October 30, 2011 5:06 am

Thanks for sharing the lovely pattern! Regards from Holland, from Sandra

October 30, 2011 8:15 am

You are welcome, Sandra! Well wishes from the U.S. :)

32. Gabriela permalink
    September 21, 2011 1:31 pm

I am actually pregnant and I would love to do these for my son to come but from row 14 on I could not understand the explanation, because my english is not sufficient (I live in Argentina) to interpret how to fold the slipper and were to crochet?. Do you have a step by step tutorial available? Thank you so much, these are adorable!!!!

September 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi Gabriela. I am glad you like the pattern. I am afraid I do not have a step by step tutorial. However, I will try to help you through it, if you tell me where you are getting confused. Also, are you reading ahead in the pattern? If so, do not! It will only confuse things. Do one step at a time, or, in this case, one sentence at a time.

33. Mary Ellis permalink
    September 14, 2011 12:08 pm

This pattern is awsome. I haven’t crocheted for years and just had a new granddaughter and started again. Thank you for this adorable bootie pattern

September 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Thank you Mary Ellis! I’m glad you like it and CONGRATULATIONS!

34. Pauline Maynard permalink
    September 1, 2011 5:22 pm

I taught myself to crochet and read patterns…a hundred years…ago! I have made garments and baby afghans. Can never make a bootie till now!

My first grandchild (a boy) is due November 3, 2011. He already has several layettes, now he’ll have some cute matching booties!

Thanks for a doable pattern. I even finished off the join from toe to ankle and sewed it up to the ankle and joined my yarn there and finished off the top following pattern. That way no ridge on top of foot. Just saying!

September 1, 2011 6:27 pm

You are very welcome, Pauline. And CONGRATULATIONS!! He’ll be one stylish baby. :)

35. Jumasto permalink
    September 1, 2011 11:01 am

Just found your pattern for the elfin booties today. I have a new grandniece, and plan on making several pairs for Christmas. Since she is a little girl, and tall and skinny for a baby, I plan on weaving ribbon around the ankle to be tied in a bow to keep them on better. LOVE this pattern!

September 1, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks, Jumasto! Glad you found the pattern!!

36. Lucia permalink
    August 2, 2011 4:07 pm

Thank you for the great pattern! This was my first time following a crochet pattern and id worked out great. I made a pair in brown, and they are perfect for keeping toes warm while camping. :-)

August 3, 2011 8:18 am

Camping?!?! That’s so cute! An elf in the woods. ;)

37. Louise permalink
    July 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Yes, it is an easy one and so cute!

38. Diane permalink
    June 28, 2011 10:59 am

Love your patterns…but do wish they would easier to print! Keep up the great work!!

June 28, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks Diane! When I have trouble printing patterns, I oftentimes clip and past them into a Pages (Word) document. I’ll do the same with the accompanying photo as well. Then I’ll just print the new document.

39. Gloria permalink
    June 13, 2011 11:17 pm

Those booties look adorable! Is there a way to make them adult size?

June 14, 2011 8:52 am

Thanks Gloria! As far as an adult-size version, sure. Just more chains and rows! ;)

40. June 7, 2011 6:41 pm

A.dor.able!! I’m expecting a little holiday baby… I think these are going on my to-do list! Thanks!

June 7, 2011 7:59 pm

You’re welcome! Yes…perfect for a holiday baby. :)

41. June 4, 2011 2:59 am

Thank you so much for sharing this. I’m expecting my first grand baby in November and am looking forward to making some of these cute booties to welcome him/her into the world.

June 4, 2011 7:07 am

You are very welcome. And congratulations!!!

42. justme26688 permalink
    June 3, 2011 5:16 pm

These booties are very sweet and I plan to make some even though I don’t know any newborn babies!

43. Tilda Esta Holzberg permalink
    May 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Thank you for the great pattern. I work with premature babies, and make the booties to keep their feet warm in the cribs. ( heel to toe).

May 31, 2011 8:14 am

You are very welcome! And so sweet you are to make them for the littlest elves. ;)

44. Jolayne Eastman permalink
    April 8, 2011 9:10 am

These are so darling but I don’t have it connected from the toe to the ankle. I’m wondering if, on the direction to pick up dropped stitch at toe and sc to ankle, you must be crocheting both sides together, right?

April 8, 2011 9:19 am

You are absolutely right, Jolayne. I’ll note that in the directions!

45. kathy permalink
    April 3, 2011 12:37 pm

i love the booties.. wish i would have found this pattern before Christmas or St Patricks Day… but i am still making them … thank you.. ps got more?

April 4, 2011 10:26 am

Thanks Kathy. Glad you like them. No, I don’t have any more right now. :(

46. paula permalink
    January 25, 2011 2:41 am

how do you decrease one single crochet inside of row could you clarify. please

January 25, 2011 8:55 am

Hey Paula. I’m guessing you’re asking about Row 9 or 14. The instructions say to decrease 1 sc each side of row. To do that, all you have to do is single crochet two stitches together at both ends of each row.

47. Robert permalink
    January 10, 2011 12:37 am

thanks for the “FREE PATTERN” Jo, as I just found this pattern, do you have diagram? or will it become clear as I do it?

Robert

January 10, 2011 8:44 am

Hey Robert. It should become clear as you go. And you’re welcome!!!

48. Linda Martinez permalink
    December 16, 2010 9:21 am

Love your little booties but I am having trouble with what is DEC row 9 and 14. Starting crochet again Thanks

49. Jan permalink
    November 20, 2010 3:32 pm

This is a great pattern. I finished an adorable pair of booties in about one hour!

November 21, 2010 9:19 am

That’s great, Jan! Glad you liked the pattern.

50. Grace permalink
    November 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Thank you so much for sharing the elfin booties pattern. They are so cute! Just what I was looking for. Perfect for my much anticipated baby grandson due in April. I’m so glad I found your website.

November 20, 2010 10:36 am

Aww…Grace…thank you!!! And congratulations on the new grand baby!!!!!!!

51. Amanda permalink
    November 11, 2010 10:50 am

What does Dc yo and Dce mean in you patren. Ti would be very helpful if you had a key.
    Thanks
    Amanda

52. Katie permalink
    October 26, 2010 10:37 am

Awesome little pattern. Although I failed to realise that you have to turn the bootie right side out before sc up the toe, oh well still looks good and they fit beautifully on my 6 week old daughter, I will have to make them bigger for christmas as I am sure she will have grown out of them!
    Thank you for the pattern!

October 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Katie–You are very welcome!

53. hannah permalink
    October 13, 2010 6:54 pm

Ok, I’m totally confused about the
    “Fold bootie wrong sides together. Join length of yarn at base of heal, making sure wrong sides of piece are together. Sc up back of bootie to ankle. Fasten off, weave in ends.

Pick up dropped yarn at toe. Sc up to marked rows, then sc around ankle opening. ”

Where is the base of the heel? And when I’m sc’ing from the toe, do I just go up to where the markers are? Is that the ankle opening? Please explain a little more.

October 15, 2010 10:03 am

Hey Hanna. Sounds like you’re reading ahead! That can be the worst thing to do–whether you are new to crocheting or a pro–as it often makes things more confusing. Now, as far as your questions go….

These are two different steps. After you do the first one, the answer to your ‘heel’ question should become apparent.

As for your second question, just follow the pattern as it’s written: “Sc up to marked rows, then sc around ankle opening.”

If you run into trouble after that, check out my comment below dated August 3, 2010. That should get you to the finish line!

54. October 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Thank you Jo, I think I have it now!!

55. October 10, 2010 10:13 am

Found your 2008 Elfin Booties,love them, I am having a little problem( am trying crocheting again, so am trying to remember all steps) but this one has me stumped?
    step 9, DEC1, got that but sc each side of row? Okay they are single crochet across, do I put a single stich in either side of one single c? i wish I had someone to show me? Thanks if your are able to help me?

Merrie-Anne

October 11, 2010 9:28 am

Hey Merrie-Anne. Without using abbreviations, another way of explaining step 9 would be like this:
      “Decrease one single crochet on each side of the row, then chain one and turn.” Does that help?

October 11, 2010 9:31 am

Hey Merrie-Anne. Here’s a more detailed explanation of step 9:
      Decrease 1 single crochet at beginning of the row. Single crochet across to the last two stitches. Decrease 1 single crochet at the end of the row using the to last stitches. Chain one and turn.

Does that help?

56. August 6, 2010 11:37 pm

Bonjour, je trouve vos petits chaussons super mignons, j’adore les chaussons pour les bébés.
    bisous
    bon tricot
    Brocantoise

57. rachel permalink
    August 4, 2010 5:41 am

hello ,
    so nice of you to have explained it so soon …
    i got it !!!!
    and i finished making the booties
    they look so nice .
    i have made it for my little one expected to arrive in September ..

thank you so much .

58. rachel permalink
    August 2, 2010 4:39 am

hi ,
    the booties are so very cute that i just wanted to make them .
    being a beginner i am very much confused with the last part .

1.’Fold bootie wrong sides together.’

does it mean we would be working on the wrong side facing us ?

2.’Join length of yarn at base of heal’

i dont know where this is

3 .’Sc up back of bootie to ankle.’
    no idea !!!! how many rows , where and how

also the rest of the pattern , i cannot understand
    so sorry to trouble you …. but these are too cute and i really want to make them …

please help me … if you can with a pictorial demonstration or if you have a video…

August 3, 2010 10:50 am

Hi! Okay, how’s this?
      1.’Fold bootie wrong sides together.’

does it mean we would be working on the wrong side facing us ?

Yup!
      2.’Join length of yarn at base of heal’
      You should be able to figure it out after you fold the material in half, if not, it’s the side you started on, not the one where you ended–that’s the toe end.
      3 .’Sc up back of bootie to ankle.’
      Just one row of single crochets up the back of the bootie; you’re just basically sewing the back of the bootie together.
      As for the remaining instructions…I’m guessing from your questions that you are reading ahead. This is a mistake, especially for beginners. Just take one row at a time. DO NOT READ AHEAD! I tell people this all the time and it really helps, trust me. For any more questions, especially for the later rows, you might want to check out the comments below. I’ve helped other newbies out before! Glad you like the pattern!!

59. July 9, 2010 10:26 pm

I guess I am not getting what it means to drop yarn and everything thereafter. Thanks so much for helping, as these are absolutely adorable and I really want to make them.

July 10, 2010 9:17 am

Kelly–Easy peasy. After you’ve dropped (literally ‘dropped’ it, not fastened off) the yarn at the toe, just cut a length about 12″ or so from the other end of your skein, attach it to the bottom point of the heal and use it to sc up the back of the bootie. Fasten off, etc.

Then pick up the yarn you dropped and use it to sc up the front of the bootie to the ankle opening to the row you marked previously (row 7). Then slip stitch into that first sc at the ankle opening, chain 3 and dc around the ankle. When you get to the front again, chain 3, turn and dc back around.

Hope this helps! We want that niece of yours to get her booties!!

60. July 9, 2010 6:50 pm

Okay, I got to the toe part. I have not crocheted in so long. Is there a video demonstrating the last part of these? I am all mixed up. These are so cute and I am trying to make them for my niece. Signed not as crafty as I used to be.

61. July 9, 2010 6:24 pm

I am stuck and I have googled. I feel silly asking, I am not understanding decrease 1 single crochet on each side (is the each end of row 9 or all the way across)?

July 9, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi Kelly! We can get this tackled together…I promise. On row 9 you’ll decrease one single crochet at the beginning and end of the row. If you’ll notice, at the end of row 1, you should have 19 sc’s, as noted. Decreasing 2 on row 9 gives you 17 sc’s. Then, jumping to row 14, you’ll dec 1 sc at the beg and end of the row, bringing your total sc’s from 17 to 15, also noted.

As far as the last part, do you mean the directions after row 14? All of those steps or one in particular? If you get back to me, we can get you over that hump too!

62. Shelby permalink
    June 13, 2010 11:23 am

Thank you!

63. Shelby permalink
    June 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Hello, great pattern! I’m going to make a few pairs for some friends. I was wondering what Dec stands for in Row 9 and Row 14? Thanks!

June 13, 2010 9:21 am

Hey Shelby! Dec stands for decrease.

Glad you like the pattern!

64. Your Hostess permalink*
    April 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Amber, You are VERY WELCOME! And congratulations on your November bundle of joy!

65. amber permalink
    April 27, 2010 12:13 pm

oh my! I LOVE these! I am due late November and these will be PERFECT for my new baby! thanks so much for the free pattern!

66. April 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Just wanted to leave you a note to say thanks for such a lovely pattern! I just whipped these up for an expecting coworker and they turned out beautifully! :)

April 26, 2010 8:34 am

You are very welcome!

67. Miryan permalink
    April 15, 2010 4:12 pm

GRACIAS! Ahora si intentaré hacerlos los zapatitos. Un brazo desde America del Sur

68. michele lopez permalink
    April 7, 2010 1:46 pm

looking for the answers to these questions about ur booties are they available? namely one on june 14 2009?

April 7, 2010 8:09 pm

Yup! You can find the answer in my reply on June 15th.

69. Spawn permalink
    March 17, 2010 8:12 am

Hello! These booties are absolutely beautiful, but I can’t work out how you get the single crochet seam from the toe to the ankle to look symmetrical. Mine always folds over to one side a bit. Is there a knack to getting it symmetrical?

March 17, 2010 10:05 am

I’m afraid that ‘fold’ is the nature of a single crochet join. Although, if anybody knows of a trick I don’t, I’d LOVE to hear it!

Glad you like the pattern otherwise!!

70. Nita Hale permalink
    March 8, 2010 1:16 pm

going to be a great-grandmother to!day. it,s a boy!Love the Elfin pattern. Can’t find how to get it

71. miranda permalink
    February 28, 2010 1:34 pm

hello,

I’ve made the booties. They’re very beautiful.
    Somewhere along the pattern i went wrong, but i don’t know when.
    On my booties there is no row of stiches to be seen on the front of the foot. This row is in the inside of the bootie. Where did i go wrong?

kind regards Miranda

March 1, 2010 8:57 am

Hi Miranda! When you say ‘on the front’ do you mean at the toe? Or from the toe up to the ankle? Because if it’s from the toe to the ankle, that’s easy to explain. After you single crocheted that seam together, you must have turned the bootie inside out.

72. Gail permalink
    January 16, 2010 2:36 am

Hi from Brisbane Australia.
    Just found your pattern for Elfin bootees, awesome. I work with prem babies and hope to make lots for the ones in nursery xmas 2010
    thanks
    Gail

January 16, 2010 8:52 am

Hello Gail from Brisbane!!! I’m so glad you found the pattern!!

73. Rose permalink
    October 15, 2009 8:57 pm

This pattern looks like a pair of crochet shoes. I have been looking for a while for something like this. I would like to know if there is a way to make this bigger(longer). I am real excited that I found this. Thank you

74. October 7, 2009 12:29 pm

Yer welcome~it’s the least I could do! I’ve made many pairs of these now and am THRILLED with them! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

75. September 29, 2009 11:28 am

Just made one of a pair (without bells) to match an earflap hat (making for two different friends), and THESE ARE SOOO CUTE! *THANK YOU!* (((((HUGS))))) sandi

September 29, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks for the hugs Sandi! And you’re very welcome!!!!

76. Gladis permalink
    September 21, 2009 2:43 am

Hi. I’m really new at this and am still learning how to follow patterns. I’m having trouble understanding the pattern after row 14. Is there anywhere I can learn the terms or see online video demonstration?

THANKS!

September 21, 2009 7:34 am

Hi Gladis! At the end of row 14, turn the bootie over as if you’ll be making another row. Instead of making a row, however, draw up a loop as if you were making a single crochet, but DON’T draw up a second loop to create the stitch. Simply leave that first loop on and go to the second stitch in the row below and draw up another loop on your hook. You’ll do this all the way across the row, and by the time you get to the end, you’ll have 16 loops on your hook (15 plus the 1 from your turn from below). Then you’ll draw up another look and pull it through all 16 loops.

After you’re done with this step, check out my comment below dated June 15th in response to La Cabra’s question. That should get you to the end!

For a good on-line crochet tutorial, I usually refer people to Crafty Daisies. Their Crochet School is very good and not intimidating at all. Crochet Guild of America is a really good resource too. They even have separate instructions for left and right-handed people.

I hope this helps! Let me know how they turn out!

77. njssmommy permalink
    July 21, 2009 1:05 am

Thank you for a bootie pattern that is quick and easy. I taught myself to crochet and never have been able to figure out any other pattern for booties. I have made this several times now, and sometimes I leave off the jingle bells or use those tiny fabric flowers if it is for a little girl. I even got brave and switched up the cuff on the last pair, going in the round rather than turning and leaving off the jingle bells. I ran a piece of yarn around the cuff for a tie, and they worked great. All my friends that are expecting get a pair or two! Thank you again!

July 21, 2009 7:10 am

You are VERY welcome!!!!

78. La Cabras permalink
    June 14, 2009 9:45 pm

I’m pretty new at this, so I do not understand when you say to drop yarn and sc up back of bootie to close, and then to pick up yarn at toe, I’m sorry I would love to do this cute booties,but I got lost on that part. Please help.

• diymaven permalink*
      June 15, 2009 11:58 am

It’s really easy! All you have to do is just stop using that yarn, or ‘drop’ it. Don’t finish it off because you’ll pick it up (or use it later). Fold the bootie in half, wrong sides together, and then take a length of yarn–about 2 feet at the most–and join that piece at the heal. Single crochet, using that new length of yarn, up the back of the bootie. Finish off with that length of yarn. Then go back to the one you dropped at the toe and single crochet up to the marked rows and around the ankle opening. Hope that helps. It sounds much more complicated that it really is…I promise!

79. Hannah permalink
    February 18, 2009 8:03 pm

lol I must be doing something wrong as I cant figure out how they go together I make them exactly according to the pattern but I have no sharp corners like you do and I don’t have enough to roll over at the top to attach the bells to? any idea what Im doing wrong?

• diymaven permalink*
      February 19, 2009 7:45 am

Oh no! Well, let’s see…could you be doing single crochets instead of doubles for the cuff? Only the first row around the cuff is sc. The next two rows are dc’s. That should give you plenty to turn down.

80. February 9, 2009 3:00 am

Thank you so much! They really are adorable and easy to make!!! Waiting for my son to see them! :) (still two months ahead)
    Thanks!

81. February 6, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi, I just wanted to tell you that these booties are so easy and so adorable that I was able to make them in a snap. I’ve decided to make lots of them to donate to the nearby hospital for the newborn babies. Now they can have a pair of booties to go home with. Thank you so much for sharing and God Bless you.

• diymaven permalink*
      February 7, 2009 7:52 am

Maria, I’m glad you liked the pattern, and how wonderful of you to make them for the newborns! That truly warms my heart!

82. January 28, 2009 11:47 am

I like these. I am making them for a gift. How much yarn do I need. What are the type yarns I can use. Thanks.

• diymaven permalink*
      January 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Hey Evelyn. I used Vanna’s Choice so any worsted weight should work fine. You’ll need about 1.25 ounces for one pair of booties. I sent an e-mail messge to you too! Hope this helps!

83. diymaven permalink*
    January 27, 2009 7:42 am

Thanks for the kind words Janyce! I’m so glad the pattern worked for you!

84. Janyce permalink
    January 27, 2009 2:07 am

I made a pair of these last night and they are by far the easiest, cutest, and well made booties I’ve ever done, and I’ve made alot of them! I crochet tight, so had to use a “J” hook to get the gauge. I made a crocheted lace edging to cuff, they turned out adorable. Thanks so much for sharing this pattern!!

85. greta permalink
    January 25, 2009 6:17 am

hallo i’m greta from italy, i wantmake you a quastion: what is the meaning of “dc” at the end of job? thank you for the answer. See you soon

• diymaven permalink*
      January 25, 2009 9:23 am

Hello Greta! DC is short for double crochet in American crochet terms. I’ll e-mail you a link to a video demonstrating the technique.

86. DeAnna permalink
    January 12, 2009 11:22 am

Oh my gosh these are too freakin CUTE!!!! If I go up a hook size will that make them bigger? They are adorable I love how you did the closure for the toe.

• diymaven permalink*
      January 12, 2009 1:18 pm

Thanks DeAnna. A bigger hook size will make them bigger–although I’m not sure just how much bigger.

87. January 9, 2009 12:20 pm

Easy and quick. They came out so cute and I liked that they were tiny, just the right size. Thank you for the pattern.

• diymaven permalink*
      January 9, 2009 4:09 pm

You’re very welcome, Rita!

88. Ling permalink
    January 1, 2009 9:44 pm

What size G hook should I use?

89. December 30, 2008 12:06 am

Too cute lol thanks.

• diymaven permalink*
      December 30, 2008 10:15 am

Glad you like them!!

90. Carol permalink
    December 28, 2008 3:52 pm

I made these yesterday 12/26 and they took about an hr. Very easy to make. They are too cute!!!!!!!!!! Thanx for the pattern.

Carol

• diymaven permalink*
      December 29, 2008 7:23 am

Glad you like it! That’s a great idea–and I have some Sugar and Cream in my stash too!

• diymaven permalink*
      December 29, 2008 7:26 am

Thanks Carol! Glad you enjoyed making them!

91. yvette permalink
    December 26, 2008 12:30 pm

the only thing i can say is…. wow!!! JUST LOVE IT……
    thanks

1. 10 Free Crochet Baby Booties Patterns
  2. Did You Know? | Drawn2Life
  3. I’ve discovered a cute, easy, and timely (Christmasy) bootie pattern . . . – the etcetera blog - This Site is Under Construction
  4. Santa Baby: Free Holiday Baby Crochet Patterns! | moogly
  5. Elfin booties / Patucos de elfo | Caxigalinas
  6. Bootie Love! | Drawn2Life
  7. Show Me Your Booties - 10 Free Crochet Patterns!
  8. 5 Irresistible Holiday Knit & Crochet Projects from Craft Bloggers | Lion Brand Notebook
  9. Show Me Your Booties - 10 Free Crochet Patterns! | moogly