Skip to content

How To: Print Both the Front and Inside of a Greeting Card at the Same Time

January 19, 2015


I’m ALWAYS looking for a new way to include a greeting on my handmade cards. Sometimes, I want to add a longer message, and big stamps that have them cost a fortune. And how many times am I going to use that one perfect stamp for that eccentric brother-in-law that collects frog statues? (I don’t have one of those. Brother-in-laws, yes. One that collects frog statues, no. But you get the point.) I want variety as much as the people I send cards to! The best way to get it in an very efficient and easy way is to find an appropriate message and then print a card with the message already in there–both inside and out or just the inside, if you want.

I used Pages for this tutorial, but I’m sure Word works pretty much the same. Note: This makes TWO cards that will fit TWO A2 envelopes.

First create a new document. Then click Insert, Text Box. Size the text box to fit the upper left-hand quadrant of the page–that would be 4.25″ x 5.5″ inches–the same dimensions as a folded half sheet of 8.5″ x 11″. Now, do that 3 more times to fill up the other 3 quadrants of the page. (You can duplicate the box [right click your mouse and click Duplicate], and then drag to the other three quadrants of the page.)

Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 11.13.32 AM

Next, hit Return to create another page. Create four text boxes on this page too!

Now for the text. For the front of the card, type the text on the FIRST sheet on the RIGHT side of the document.

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 9.15.37 AM

For the inside of the card, type the text on the SECOND sheet ALSO on the RIGHT side of the document.

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 9.19.25 AM

When you go to print, you MUST indicate 2-side printing! Also, you’ll want to click ‘Best’ Quality.

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 9.20.54 AM


Printed and ready to cut:



After that, it’s just a matter of cutting the paper in half and tarting up the outside. And, the slick part? The inside message is already done.




DIY Steampunk Box, Tim Holtz Style

June 10, 2014

photo 1

I was in the need of a small wooden box, so, of course, I asked SweetiePie if he’d make one for me. He gave me that look–you know that look, the one says ‘yes, but must I?’–so I decided to look for an unfinished one at the craft store. I found a set of two at Michaels. The largest of the pair would work, so I nabbed them. And then the fun started. (Pictured above is the smaller box of the set.)

I removed all the hardware and put a coat of Danish oil on the outside of the box.Then, using these instructions, I lined the inside of the box with black velvet.

photo 3

The shiny brass hardware looked too, well, brassy, so I sanded it with a 180 grit sanding sponge and then rubbed it with silver Rub ‘n Buff.  After the finish had cured, I re-installed the hardware and got busy with the outside of the box.

I considered some sort of Mod Podge installation, but when I spotted Tim Holtz’s Mini Gears, I had to buy them, using a 40% coupon, of course. After arranging the gears in a pleasing design, I glued them down with a bit of Aileen’s Tacky. Love how it turned out! And, seriously, I don’t think there’s anything that Tim Holtz makes that I don’t like. . .

photo 2a


How to Make Old Candles Look New

January 15, 2014

photo 1

Who doesn’t love a tall pillar candle? Who doesn’t hate it when they start looking like the ones pictured above? I have a habit of accumulating a lot of these wonky candles in my candle stash because I’m too much of a spendthrift to toss them, and I never seem to get around to recycling the wax (which I always promise myself I’ll do). I try to tidy them up, either breaking or cutting off (a serrated blade works okay) their peaks, which makes them look weird in a new way. But with the help of an old iron and some aluminum foil, you can make misshapen candles look almost new. Here’s how you do it:

First put down a thick layer of newspaper or a section of aluminum foil on you work surface. Then cover an iron (preferably an old one, just in case) with heavy duty aluminum foil and crank up the heat to cotton/linen.

photo 3

While you’re waiting for the iron to get hot, trim the edges of your candles by either breaking them off. If they don’t break easily you can CAREFULLY use a serrated blade to score them at the desired breakpoint first. That seem to help. If you decide to cut the wax entirely, PLEASE be careful.

When the iron is hot, simply hold it up diagonally in one hand and a candle in the other. Gently touch the top of the candle to the iron and watch the wax melt like crazy. WARNING: the wax will smoke a little. (I would have included a picture, of this process, but my hands were tied, as it were.) Make sure you old the candle perpendicular to the iron for the straightest outcome. You might be temped let the iron rest on your work surface and simply hold the candle up to it. DON’T DO THAT. If you do, the slant of the iron will make the wax run down and onto the bottom of the iron.

When I said the wax melts like crazy, I meant it. It took about 10 seconds per candle to get them looking almost new. Check them out now:

photo 3-1

Nobody would know that they weren’t new and previously wonky!



Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 226 other followers

%d bloggers like this: